[MacRuby-devel] Framework callbacks in macirb

Barry Walker bwalker at quantumparametrics.com
Wed Feb 4 19:46:31 PST 2009

I'm clearly in over my head here, but I'm hoping macruby can simplify some
complexity.

I've cobbled together an objective c framework with a class that handles
some IO Kit transactions.  The framework seems to work with objective c
cocoa applications.

I would like to use this framework from macirb or a simple standalone ruby
script.  The framework appears to load from macirb and I can make an object
and call it's methods.  I can see packets sent out the FireWire port as
expected.

A key feature of the framework is accepting callbacks from IO kit.  Certain
FireWire packets on the bus should invoke method callbacks.  The callbacks
do not seem to make it to the objects created in macirb or a simple script.

I'm researching run loops and threads and trying to understand if macirb or
macruby uses NSApplication and its run loop, but I'm not getting very far
and I may be way off base.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Hopefully I'm missing something simple, but if what I'm trying to achieve is
extremly difficult or impossible it would be good to know that also.

Regards,

Barry