[MacRuby-devel] Who wants to install gems anyways?! Introducing MicroGem

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 00:40:43 PST 2009

Hi,

As most people know installing gems on MacRuby still fails for most
gems.
I was getting so annoyed looking through the source of RubyGems
that I decided to write a clean room implementation of it.
For now it only does installing, but was the only goal since that's
what fails on MacRuby.
It might try to do more to replace RubyGems in the future, discussion/
patches are all welcome.
For instance, I'm gonna use it do gem vendoring in Rucola.

Anyways, to the real interesting part of this mail :-)
I was actually gonna wait with a first release until MicroGem was able
to bootstrap itself
and install, but I haven't had time for that yet. So for now follow
these instructions:

Get source:
   $ git clone git://github.com/alloy/microgem.git
   $ cd microgem

Install the remote gem:
   $ sudo env PRODUCTION=true macruby ./bin/µgem install alloy-
microgem --simple --debug

Then to install a gem:
   $ sudo macµgem install mocha --simple

For more information see: http://github.com/alloy/microgem/tree/master