[MacRuby-devel] macruby, llvm, and iphone

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:44:58 PST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:30 PM, S. Woodside wrote:

> I would kill to be able to write my iphone apps in Ruby. Could LLVM
> or something like it be used to do that? (like, write an app in
> ruby, compile to llvm bytecode, and package the app with the llvm
> virtual machine?) (given that apple does not ship a ruby runtime on
> iphone, and says "no interpreted languages" is their policy)

Technically, the answer should be yes. I think you can run any chunk
of binary code linked against static libraries. Code signing can be
taken care of by the codesign command-line tool and you can drag
properly signed apps into iTunes for installation onto the iPhone.

Tethered (on the iPhone) debugging would not be possible without
reverse-engineering the usbmuxd protocol, unless you manage to use gdb
to debug Ruby code.

---
http://tinyco.de
--- Mac & iPhone