[MacRuby-devel] Porting Cocoa OpenGL sample code

Brian Chapados chapbr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 12:43:20 PST 2009

> Can you explain: "^{_CGLRendererInfoObject=}"? is that some secret
> incantation only known by the MacRuby/Obj overlords?

Yes, it is actually a 7th level spell: 'Encode Structure'.  To learn
it, you must study the ancient tome:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjCRuntimeGuide/Articles/chapter_7_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008048-CH100-SW1

 If it makes you feel better, I usually need to look it up (or just
run the Obj-C code sample), unless it is something simple (like '@').
I don't keep this spell in memory, as it is only required in special
situations.

Seriously though, that is actually how you encode a pointer to a
struct.  If you use the @encode(type) directive, the compiler will
return the runtime encoding for 'type'.  It's a bit cryptic, but not
too bad once you know the syntax:

'^type' encodes a pointer to type.
'{name=<field1 type><field2 type><field3 type>...<fieldN type>}'
encodes a struct with N fields.

To break it down using 2 examples:

(from the docs)
typedef struct example {
    id   anObject; // encoding = @
    char *aString; // encoding = c
    int  anInt; // enoding = i
} Example;

@encode(Example) = "^{example=@ci}"

CGLRendererInfoObj is a pointer to an opaque struct (we don't know
anything about the fields) named _CGLRendererInfoObject. All we know
is:
typedef struct _CGLRendererInfoObject *CGLRendererInfoObj;

so it's just "^{_CGLRendererInfoObject=}"

In practice (unless you're working with CoreFoundation C APIs) you
usually just need a pointer to an object.  The most common usage I run
across is to retrieve NSError objects.  The CoreFoundation C API uses
pass-by-reference extensively.  To use these functions with MacRuby,
you need to create lots of pointer objects. In general, this is an
area where interfacing ruby with C is just fugly.  I'd personally
avoid doing this in MacRuby.  If you find yourself needing to use lots
Pointer objects, it's probably better and less error-prone to write
that code in C and expose it to MacRuby through an Objective-C
interface.

That said, for common things, I've used something like this extension
to the Pointer class:

----
class Pointer
  def self.ptr
    new_with_type("@")
  end

  def self.to(type = :object)
    case type
      when :object
        new_with_type('@')
      when :int
        new_with_type('i')
      when :char
      when :bool
      when :BOOL
        new_with_type('c')
      when :unsigned
        new_with_type('I')
    end
  end

  def value
    self[0]
  end
end

----

Need a pointer to an ObjC object?
p = Pointer.ptr

To a BOOL?
p = Pointer.to(:BOOL)

Need the value?
p.value

Those are the most common types I've needed.