[MacRuby-devel] Greetings, and a fix for SSL

Arlen Cuss celtic at sairyx.org
Sun Jan 25 19:35:15 PST 2009

Hi all,
I'm Arlen, developer from Australia, as of a month or two ago a Mac user,
and just started out doing some stuff in Cocoa a few days ago.

Naturally, I wanted to use Ruby, so I've gotten into MacRuby and hit my
first stumbling point; OpenSSL's SSLSocket.

I've had a conversation with myself on Trac here about the problem,
ultimately finding a fix;
http://www.macruby.org/trac/ticket/215

I've fixed the problems - the first seems to stem from the fact that the C
initializer for SSLSocket is never called (weird!), and the second from
memory issues in functions in io.c which use the rb_fdset_t struct.

I've supplied a diff on the ticket which works around both issues.

It'd be great if someone could look over it and include it, or provide some
criticism on what I'm doing wrong.  I don't hack on Ruby's code too much, so
this is all quite new to me. :-)

Cheers, and best wishes to everyone,
Arlen