[MacRuby-devel] Macruby 10x slower than built-in Ruby for my script

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 08:23:18 PDT 2009

Hi all,

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM, zhida cheng<vorbei at gmail.com> wrote:
> But in this very simple (I think) script, Macruby is 10x slower than
> built-in Ruby in OSX 10.5.7
> It's for reading atom positions, calculating distances, make a summary and
> find out nearest atoms.
> You can get the codes here: http://gist.github.com/138760

I'd like to confirm this report with two Shark profiling results:

http://omploader.org/vMXducQ/macruby.mshark (Running the ruby program dist.rb
given by Zhida with macruby, trunk version)

http://omploader.org/vMXdudQ/ruby.mshark (Running the ruby program dist.rb
given by Zhida with ruby, the version shipping with Mac OS X Leopard)

>From the first result, we can see most of the time is spent on libauto.dylib,
the garbage collector library, especially spinlocks in that library. I suppose
that may be a direction for optimization?

- Jiang