[MacRuby-devel] question about goals for ruby module compatibility with macruby

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:09:17 PDT 2009

Hi Tim,

I was about to reply to your colleague, Mr Otero, so let me try to clarify a
few things that might help others.
 The goal for MacRuby 0.5 is to be able to run any rubygems that are not C
extensions. ( see Macruby 0.5 roadmap:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2009-July/002091.html )

The good news is that the BioRuby gem is pure Ruby, the bad news is that
it's not fully compatible with Ruby 1.9 yet. (MacRuby is aiming for Ruby 1.9
compatibility) However, that shouldn't be hard to fix.

Regarding Rails, that's a different story, as you probably know, Rails 3 is
going to be released towards the end of the year. Rails is a big project and
quite a challenging one to have running on top of any Ruby implementation.
The primarily goal of MacRuby is to let people write Cocoa apps in Ruby, so
Rails is not at the top of the todo list.
However, this is something we would really like to be able to do ASAP.
(being part of the Rails team, I would love to see that happen).

Rails also uses some C based extensions like its DB drivers and we would
need to find workarounds.

I hope it helps,

- Matt