[MacRuby-devel] Grand Central Dispatch and MacRuby?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Jun 9 05:57:44 PDT 2009

Grand Central Dispatch is Apple's proposed technology for making
concurrent programming easier and safer.  It looks pretty cool,
as far as I can tell from the somewhat fluffy discussion here:

http://images.apple.com/macosx/technology/docs/GrandCentral_TB_brief_20090608.pdf

It's also pretty clear that any first-class development language
on Mac OS X, going forward, will have to support this.  Ruby has
all sorts of block-based goodness already and Laurent is busily
implementing JIT for MacRuby, so I speculate that GCD may well be
in MacRuby's future.

Has anyone looked into this possibility, if only to the extent of
sketching out what language extensions might be needed?

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com