[MacRuby-devel] ruby gems just for MacRuby

Dr Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:56:08 PDT 2009

You can give each gem a platform scope. Windows-only gems are the most
common incarnation of this.

There is an OS X-only gem "ghost" (http://github.com/bjeanes/ghost/tree/master):

  ~ : sudo gem install ghost
  Password:
  Successfully installed ghost-0.1.2-universal-darwin-9

Mongrel is a great example of distributing gems for different
platforms (unix, windows, java - see
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1306)

Look inside their gemspec/hoe config for how they do this.

MacRuby's gem command could be hard-wired to only pull down macruby
gems of some sort.

This is all I know without doing more investigation.

Cheers
Nic