[MacRuby-devel] I want to help

John Shea johnmacshea at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:49:10 PDT 2009

Hello Frisco,
one option for you is to become an expert in something MacRuby.

One area for example that could give you some good skills and could be good
for the MacRuby community (if you release the results) is the CoreAnimation
area, an area I was hoping I would have time for but will not.

So:
1. You could take a look at the example I translated on johnmacshea.org - in
the Hillegas examples - Polynomials.

2. Then you could translate Bill Dudney's CoreAnimation examples with these
screencasts :
http://www.pragprog.com/screencasts/v-bdcora/creating-a-compelling-user-interface-with-core-animation
(He also has a book - available as a pdf at the pragprogs - if you are
really keen do that as well).

You will probably need to buy the screencasts - and I actually have not
checked with the PragProgs whether they are happy to have MacRuby versions
of their Objective C code floating around.

I have done the macruby translations for the first two or three screencasts.

3. Then you could translate this:
http://cocoawithlove.com/2009/03/asteroids-style-game-in-coreanimation.html
I am actually not sure what the performance would be in MacRuby - in the
4th instalment in that series Matt suggests that CoreAnimation (in
ObjectiveC) can sometimes have performance issues with many layers.

4. Then for the final exam of your short course ;-) you could do what Jordan
Hubbard suggested and translate this
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GeekGameBoard/index.html.<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GeekGameBoard/index.html>

If you are interested in following this path let me know and I will send you
what I have done in the Bill Dudney screencasts. Even if we aren't allowed
to release the macruby versions into the wild - you could learn from the
process and help you on the next steps.

Cheers,