[MacRuby-devel] helping out

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:06:44 PDT 2009

Hey John,

I would happily spend some time on MacRuby, but I have no idea where to
> start.

Anyway I was wondering whether you could give me a quick run down on
> how to start investigating learning and experimenting with the
> experimental branch.

Don't start with the experimental branch, it's a work in progress and unless
you work on a very specific area under the supervision of Laurent, I think
you should wait a little bit.

I would like to start as simple as possible - but down the track one
> particular part that i would be interested in is tracing the dispatch from
> bridgesupport method to opengl function.

Once the experimental branch will have the cocoa integration I'm sure this
is something we can help you working on. (and by 'we' I really mean: Laurent
:p)

Speaking of which is it you that cannot make it? Pity if so - I was looking
> fwd to your talk as I have some very flaky code which interfaces with some
> traditional (ie non REST) webservices - I was hoping for some (yet more)
> tips ;-).

Unfortunately, there was a last minute change and I won't be able to make it
to the conf. However, I'm still planning on preparing some documentation on
integrating MacRuby apps with remote/local web applications. You mentioned
non-REST webservices, what do you have to deal with? SOAP, XML-RPC,
something else?

On a different note, I can think of a few things that you could do to help:
- work on MacRuby/HotCocoa examples, I know you already ported a lot of
samples from various sources, but some original samples to show various
technics would def. be helpful.
- write articles for the blog (I believe you already started)
- work on HotCocoa (add mappings, suggest new APIs, study a way to test
hotcocoa code (hotcocoa itself as well as developer's code))
- port the major ruby C extensions to MacRuby (using C or obj-c)

I'll try to talk with Laurent and list the things he would like people to
work on. Once we have a concrete list, maybe we can organize ourselves in
pairs/small groups and start tackling these tasks.

- Matt