[MacRuby-devel] #54: build on Leopard fails on readline

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:39:59 PDT 2009

Oh hey, thanks for pointing me to it again. There's nothing wrong with
that article I failed at properly looking at the article. I think the
layout instantly reminded me of an article which suggested installing
ruby into /usr which a lot of people did and consequently broke their
installations.

Mea culpa.

So the problem of this ticket is an architecture problem. Normally
when you just use "./configure --prefix=/usr/local" then the resulting
binaries will only be for the current architecture it's running on. In
this case i386. MacRuby however, is configure to be compiled for more
architectures than just i386. This is for compatibility of your app on
different machines and thus necessary. However, you cannot build
something (MacRuby) for architectures which it's dependencies do not
contain.

To sum up; your dependencies need to at least include support for the
architectures that the product is being build for.

In this case readline was compiled without support for other archs
than the current one, which is ok normally, but MacRuby can't be build
for more than just i386 and so it fails.

Solutions are build MacRuby for the current arch, or make sure MacRuby
uses libs in /usr instead of /usr/local when compiling. I wouldn't go
with the former, it will bite you later on when deploying.

I hope this explains it a bit more. And I'll add this as a comment to
the ticket so others won't be confused due to my error.

Cheers,
Eloy