[MacRuby-devel] HotCocoa status update

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Thu May 28 22:55:08 PDT 2009

Here is a quick update to let you know the progress made on HotCocoa in
trunk.

* new MVC template. The template in HotCocoa 0.4 is great but as soon as you
try to build a rich/complicated GUI, you start having to build your own
"view" system. We spent some time designing a new templating solution for
HotCocoa. You will still be able to use the one file type approach provided
by 0.4, but we are trying to set some conventions for people in need of a
MVC approach.
Having well defined conventions makes delegation and code organization
easier.

* Documentation app. We started working on a documentation app to provide
Cocoa and HotCocoa documentation. The source code is available at
http://github.com/mattetti/macruby-doc-app/ but will soon be moved to trunk.
To play with the app, you need to have the latest version of trunk built on
your machine. The application uses the Cocoa docsets and parses the HotCocoa
mappings to show available methods, delegations and cocoa doc.
Most of the basic functionalities are available, we are now going to spend
some time making the app look good and intuitive.

* HotCocoa mappings. With more and more people using HotCocoa, mappings are
being improved and extended.

*Todos:*

* Better integration between Interface Builder and HotCocoa. Imagine
defining a startup view using Interface Builder and then manage everything
else using HotCocoa using the newly designed HotCocoa MVC conventions. We
have some ideas on how to do that in a transparent way but more experiments
are required.

* Tests. We would like to see HotCocoa being better tested and also provide
a decent testing solution for developers.

* Rucola integration. Rucola is a very interesting and inspiring RubyCocoa
project. We are looking forward to work closely with the Eloy Duran to offer
the same type of experience for MacRuby/HotCocoa.

* Wrap commonly used obj-c libraries and document the process.

As usual, your help would be appreciated.

- Matt