[MacRuby-devel] Contributions (Was: Experimental branch status)

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Fri May 29 15:31:43 PDT 2009

So, to recap, I think the following contributions will be welcome:

- Maintaining the website (blog, content, etc.) and writing tutorials.
There are lots of very interesting blog posts around that could I
think be transformed into a tutorial or into a recipe (shorter
tutorial). I think we need more recipes, for instance how to embed
MacRuby in your app, how to use a specific and complex Cocoa class
(NSOutlineView/NSTableView/etc.) in Ruby, etc.

- Writing / translating sample code for MacRuby. We will bundle it in
the MacRuby distribution. If you wrote anything interesting in MacRuby
that could be used as a sample code, let us now. Creating new sample
code is cool, but porting an existing Objective-C sample code is good
too.

- Specs: working on the 1.8 -> 1.9 rubyspec transition (see Eloy's
message above). Eloy is currently doing all the specs maintenance as
well and I think he will not be against help :) Also, we recently
started writing MacRuby-specific specs, they need to be extended.
Finally, we need to start working on passing the core specs (we only
did language so far).

- Porting C extensions to the Ruby FFI API. We started working on a
compatible Ruby FFI API, we still have a plan to support C extensions
but not in the very near future and the performance will not be great,
FFI will be faster. Also if most of the well-known C extensions have
been ported, we might simply decide to not support C extensions, which
is one less thing to do. Also, working on Ruby FFI-compatible
libraries will make JRuby / Rubinius / etc. users happy :)

- HotCocoa: I will leave this part to Rich and Matt, but I think they
will be mostly interested in mappings. Try to create a HotCocoa app,
then contribute mappings for things that do not exist (or improve the
existing ones by contributing custom methods, etc.).

- Core: there are lots of things to do, if you feel hacking on the low-
level bits. We maintain a TODO file which contains a few things that
still need to be done. At this point, the JIT compiler is almost
finished (AOT is maybe finished at 10%, though) and the VM is still
under development. A good way to start hacking is to run the
test_vm.rb test suite, pick a failing test and try to fix it.
Contributing new failing tests is also highly welcome, you can simply
use the miniruby executable and try to make it crash (it's not hard,
you will see).

- ... anything more? :)

Laurent