[MacRuby-devel] call for help!

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Sun Nov 1 17:19:11 PST 2009

Hi,

On Nov 1, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Conrad Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Laurent Sansonetti <lsansonetti at apple.com
> > wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Things are shaping pretty nicely in trunk and we expect to release
> the second beta in a few days. We receive bug reports every day,
> it's great that people are testing it, and the final release will be
> awesome :-)
>
> If you are interested in contributing to the project and you do not
> have the time or expertise to learn the source code & contribute
> patches, there are still crucial things that you could do:
>
> I have the following questions in regards to submitting code/patches:
>
> 1)  Is there an Xcode project file for operating on the source?

No, there isn't.

> 2)  How does properly create a patch file for submittal and should
> this be filed as a ticket?

I recommend using the patch functionality of the SCM you're using. If
you work with SVN, you can simply change files, then:

$ svn diff > patch.diff

And you can enclose the .diff file to a Trac ticket.
.
> 1) Test as many Ruby code (gems, libraries) as possible with MacRuby
> and report us feedback, if the code crashes, runs slowly or leaks
> all your memory. If you report a runtime crash, it would be even
> better if you could take the time to reduce the problem into a few
> lines of Ruby, this saves us (well, me :)) time. Things we don't run
> yet (but should): rspec, mocha, activesupport (that's a big one!),
> etc.
>
> Yes, activesupport is keeping from playing with activemodel at the
> moment.  Also, RSpec, at the absolute minimum, would be a great
> addition to the MacRuby project.  Is anyone working on activesupport
> at the moment?

I looked a few weeks ago and noted a few bugs, that have been fixed
since. It's a perpetual approach, trying to run something, hitting a
bug, reducing it, fixing it, etc.

I would prefer to have rspec working first, though :-)

AFAIK nobody is working on this yet.