[MacRuby-devel] Commercial ready?

Giampiero De Ciantis gdeciantis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:41:55 PST 2009

I am not sure, maybe I am doing something wrong, but here is what I have tried:

1. Use RVM to make MacRuby my default Ruby
2. Install the Cucumber gem while MacRuby is my default VM
3. Run cucumber on an existing Ruby app that is tested using Cucumber (This fails every time I have tried)
4. Run RSpec on the same Ruby app (This also fails every time I have tried)
5. Add Cucumber features that describe the GUI
6. Build out the GUI

I realize that 5 and 6 would require me to build some kind of other tool like webrat (Cocoarat?), but that brings me to my next idea.

The project I have wanted to start for a while was to build something equivalent to Merb or Rails for Cocoa applications. Something that allows you to avoid XCode altogether and sets you up with the right frameworks and plugins to get a lot done fast. But a framework of this kind can get nasty quick if you don't have some kind of testing harness. Further, Ruby is a terrible language without testing tools. It gives you way more opportunities to screw stuff up if you don't have some kind of safety net.

I hope that helps you understand where I am coming from. I am a big supporter of BDD since, as a product manager, it helps me get the most out of the work that me and the team do to build software products. How I got here is a story that requires many beers, my treat.

Cheers,

-Gp