[MacRuby-devel] Commercial ready?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Mon Nov 23 17:06:44 PST 2009

Hi Matthiew,

If you are considering using MacRuby to build a commercial Cocoa app,
you should also consider the following limitations:

- Limited Ruby compatibility. Our compatibility is not bad but if you
want to use 3rd party Ruby libraries or gems you may hit some bugs. We
are actively fixing these bugs as they are reported, but you need to
be willing to report them and be patient.
- No support for C extensions. If you want to use a native gem, it
will not work.
- No debugger (in Xcode).
- No support to build an app that works on both Leopard and Snow
Leopard.

We are working to address these limitations in the next (0.6) release.

On the other side, we have fairly stable Cocoa support. If you are
using pure Cocoa APIs in your app, MacRuby should today be an
excellent choice. t is also possible to pre-compile your application's
source code to native code and embed MacRuby.

Laurent