[MacRuby-devel] Assertion failed in rb_vm_super_lookup

Gareth Townsend gareth.townsend at me.com
Thu Nov 26 15:51:21 PST 2009

Hi,

I've just started playing with MacRuby. So please bear with me, there's every chance I'm doing something stupid :-) I'm using 0.5 beta 2.

I'm building a simple Cocoa App (http://github.com/quamen/noise) and am running into some problems while trying to set up a Preference Pane.

Specifically this error:

> Assertion failed: (m != NULL), function rb_vm_super_lookup, file dispatcher.cpp, line 228.

Followed by a whole heap of warnings that seem to hard coded to Laurent's machine

Program received signal:  “SIGABRT”.
> sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all
> warning: Could not find object file "/Users/lrz/src/macruby-clean/array.o" - no debug information available for "array.c".
>
> warning: Could not find object file "/Users/lrz/src/macruby-clean/bignum.o" - no debug information available for "bignum.c".

This occurs when I try to instantiate an NSWindowController subclass. My Code:

> def open_preferences(sender)
> 	NSLog('open preferences')
> 	preference_controller ||= PreferencesController.new
> 	preference_controller.showWindow(self)
> end

> class PreferencesController < NSWindowController
> 	def init
> 		if (super initWithWindowNibName('preferences'))
> 			self
> 		else
> 			nil
> 		end
> 	end
>
> end

I have a .xib file called 'preferences.xib'

So can anyone spot something stupid? If not, how should I go about debugging this?

Cheers,
Gareth Townsend
http://www.garethtownsend.info
http://www.melbournecocoaheads.com