[MacRuby-devel] floats in core data

John Shea johnmacshea at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 03:12:41 PST 2009

Hi Laurent,

(sorry for the longish post)

I did some simple tests where the bound variable is not actually bound to a CoreData store, but to a method in the custom NSManagedObject class..

(btw - I am not sure if anyone else noticed but a difference between 0.4 and 0.5, is that when binding to custom methods now, the methods have to be mentioned in the valueForUndefinedKey method of the NSManagedObject - before they did not need to be - but maybe in 0.4, this was a lucky time dependency, with the method being loaded before being queried by the view).

- Returning a (ruby) number like 45.3 will not be displayed in the column (with and without formatter) or in fact a plain NSTextField (so it does not seem to be a table cell issue) but returning NSDecimalNumber.decimalNumberWithString("45.3") - will be displayed correctly in both.

- Same issue when binding to a class with only NSObject as the super.

- I also did do some test with the core data stack and KVC/KVO, binding etc and everything worked ok. I now think this issue has nothing to do with CoreData.

- My current suspicion is that the NSTextField is being sent a setObjectValue message which works fine with NSDecimalNumbers - it does not work with MacRuby Floats, or with NSNumbers - although i would expect it to since they are objects.

(bolds added by me for comprehension)

irb(main):005:0> framework "Cocoa"
=> true
irb(main):006:0> tf = NSTextField.alloc.init
=> #<NSTextField:0x20026c560>
irb(main):007:0> num = NSNumber.numberWithFloat(23.3)
=> 23.2999992370605
irb(main):008:0> tf.setObjectValue(num)
=> #<NSTextField:0x20026c560>
irb(main):009:0> p tf.stringValue
"0"
=> "0"
irb(main):010:0> tf.setFloatValue(23.3)
=> #<NSTextField:0x20026c560>
irb(main):011:0> p tf.stringValue
"23.29999923706055"
=> "23.29999923706055"

I will add this to the MacRuby bugs a bit later.

re NSDecimalNumber -> leaving it "untouched" as you said,  is,  in my opinion the right thing, it would be too confusing for it to have different behavior than what is in the docs.

Cheers,
John