[MacRuby-devel] HotCocoa on_notification Method with Snow Leopard

Trevor Hills trevor at monts.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 04:52:12 PDT 2009

I have a small MacRuby/HotCocoa application that uses the
on_notification method described by Richard Kilmer in his post of Sept
19 2008 http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2008-September/000539.html

This application worked well under MacRuby 0.4 and Mac OS 10.5. It
intercepts Spotify Growl messages to obtain track title and artist
information to pass into an AppleScript Studio application I wrote.
The MacRuby/HotCocoa app was provided by a friendly software
developer, Peter MacRobert, for me since ASS did not have the
appropriate inter-process message handling capability.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard and discovered that the app crashed out
with MacRuby 0.4. I succeeded in downloading and installing MacRuby
0.5 and now the app loads successfully with no error messages as
before under Leopard.

Unfortunately the on_notification code does not get triggered any
longer. No error messages, just stubbornly refuses to respond when the
Distributed Notifications Center gets the Spotify message. I am able
to see that the message is there by firing up Growl which shows the
message each time Spotify plays a track.

I'm looking for guidance if anybody has any words of wisdom please?
Has something changed under MacOS 10.6.1 to do with the Distributed
Notifications Center or is it likely that my re-installation of
MacRuby 0.5 is incorrect and I have to do something additional to get
the on_notification method re-enabled?

My googling efforts suggest that there are changes in inter-process
security with Snow Leopard but I am unable to discover any security
violation error messages.

Regards

Trevor Hills