[MacRuby-devel] NSTimer

Robert Rice rice.audio at pobox.com
Sun Oct 11 13:45:50 PDT 2009

Hi Laurent:

NSTimer wil work well for my app except I will still need to use a
thread to read data from my GPS receiver unless I can find a non-
blocking serial I/O package.

I see that Apple has developed a "Core Location Framework" for the
iPhone but I don't see any documentation to indicate that I could use
it in a Cocoa environment. That would be a preferable solution not
only for portability but also to solve the problem I have had for
years with multiple applications trying to read data from my receiver
at the same time. The Core Location Framework should work on OSX if it
can find any suitable GPS receiver attached to the local network; then
GPS nav apps could get the position info from the framework as on the
iPhone. Is there any way to suggest this project to Apple?

Bob Rice