[MacRuby-devel] Translating Obj-C to MacRuby

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Wed Oct 14 02:04:28 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Oct 14, 2009, at 1:03 AM, B. Ohr wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Using Cocoa in MacRuby is sometimes a hard job, because all
> documentation, examples and sample code is Obj-C. For example, I
> found this piece of code '[NSNumber numberWithBool:NO]' and asked
> myself how to write that in Macruby.

You can simply pass true or false and MacRuby will do the conversion
for you.

> I opened macirb and typed:
>
> > NSNumber.numberWithBool 0
> => false
>
> First I had to laugh and then I thought: Hey implementors of
> macruby, you really did a great job!

And NSNumbers are converted to Ruby types as you just experienced :)

> What do you think about a table on http://www.macruby.org/ which
> lists all such short (and astonishing) examples. Or even better, why
> not create a command in the services menu which translates a Obj-C
> sequence (by regexp).

I think a short tutorial/page on the website would be great, indeed. I
don't believe it is easily possible to write an Objective-C -> MacRuby
convertor that works most/all the time (because of the C nature of
ObjC).

> BTW, the second example I tried is:
>
> > NSDictionary.dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys "a", "b", nil
>
> but instead of {"b"=>"a"} I got a seg fault! (ticket is filed)

I replied to the ticket, it seems you forgot to do `framework
'Foundation'' first.