[MacRuby-devel] bundle or dylib

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Wed Sep 9 11:07:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Clay Bridges wrote:

> Does anyone have an answer to this? Are the Objective-C "bundles" that
> MacRuby loads in require statements really dylibs? Are they real
> bundles?

Sorry, your original message was lost in my inbox.

I forgot the difference between a bundle in a dylib, I think you can
find more on the man pages. IIRC bundles were supposed to be
unloadable but this feature got removed later.

In any case, MacRuby uses the dynamic linker to load shared libraries
at runtime, and this works with both.

# FYI, we compile C extensions with -bundle, but this is mostly
historical.