[MacRuby-devel] macruby nightly build 2009-09-10

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:34:12 PDT 2009

Unfortunately, we don't have a check list of all the std libs and other gems
that are compatible/incompatible.

The todo list mentions the following:

Planned for 0.5
[ ] fix irb Binding bugs
[/] sockets
[ ] backtracing / symbolication
[/] rubygems should work (modulo C extensions)
  [X] fix version numbers
  [X] fix YAML deserialization of booleans
  [ ] fix ~/.gemrc
  [X] `source --add http://gems.github.com' crashes (outside gdb)
  [ ] `install rest-client' prints parsing errors (encoding problem in
thor.gemspec)
  [ ] `gem uninstall bacon' doesn't work (Unknown gem bacon >= 0)
  [ ] `macgem install rails --version 2.3.2' crashes (MAX_DISPATCH_ARGS
assertion)
[ ] rewrite load.c (needed for RubyGems' #require hack)

For 0.5 (must do):

[ ] implement Enumerable::Enumerator
[/] 32-bit should be back
[X] Array subclass for immediates
[ ] Hash subclass for immediates
[ ] try/catch should use a C++ exception
[ ] ObjC exceptions should be catchable in Ruby
[ ] fully implement FFI API
[ ] support for bigdecimal
[ ] support for json
[/] support for yaml
[ ] support for openssl
[/] support for zlib
[ ] merge stdlib from 1.9.2 trunk
[/] most language/core/library specs should run (modulo a very few
exceptions)
[X] port all rb_define_method() calls to rb_objc_define_method()
[/] port all rb_funcall() calls to rb_vm_call()
[/] port all rb_num_coerce_bin() calls to rb_objc_num_coerce_bin()
[/] port all rb_obj_respond_to() calls to rb_vm_respond_to()

For 0.5 (tentative):

[ ] write a pass manager to eliminate unnecessary arrays generated by
massigns
[ ] vectorize bignums
[ ] block inlining
[ ] fast regexp =~
[ ] rakefile-ize instruby.rb
[/] finish AOT compiler (only normal mode)
[/] sync with LLVM 2.6 (DONE in llvm26 branch, blocked by LLVM regressions)
[ ] multithreaded JIT
[ ] debugger interface

We identified some bugs that cause ERB to not work properly and they will be
fixed for 0.5, however the work on the webserver didn't start. Stuff like
CGI and openssl would first need to work.
If you want to help, the best thing you could do is to work on the specs
with Eloy. (flag/tag the specs that fail so we know what libs are working,
which are not) if you find bugs,replorting them in a simple/reproducible
example is also super useful.

- Matt