[MacRuby-devel] super brief glimpse of trunk progress

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 12:08:34 PDT 2009

As you know, we are getting close to releasing 0.5 RC1 so I figured you
might wonder about the latest progress happening in trunk.

If you really want to give 0.5 trunk a spin and don't want to compile from
source, Snow Leopard users with 64bit CPU can download the nightly builds:
http://macruby.icoretech.org/  (the nightly web app has been put on GitHub
by Claudio if you care to look at the source code).

So what's new?  Lots of bug fixes, macgem is getting closer to be ready.
It's still slow but now you can require your gems by doing require
'game_name' instead of gem 'gem_name'; require 'gem_name'. The performance
should be improved greatly once we know everything works well. Feel free to
give it a try and report bugs in the tracker.

Also, backtraces are almost back :) As of this morning, uncaught exceptions
don't print the backtrace but if you want to give it a try, catch your
exception and print its backtrace. Example:

begin
  raise 'this is just a test'
rescue Exception => e
 raise "#{e}\n backtrace: #{e.backtrace}"
end

However, as of next nightly build, macruby should have uncaught exceptions
printing the backtrace.

Exciting time coming up, get ready to test MacRuby 0.5 RC1 :)