[MacRuby-devel] Assertion failed: (castIsValid(getOpcode(), S, Ty) && "Illegal SExt"), function SExtInst, file Instructions.cpp, line 2508.

Art Taylor art at arttaylor.com
Sun Sep 27 14:27:07 PDT 2009

I'm in the process of migrating an Objective-C project to MacRuby (0.5
trunk) and am seeing this error when I run the application:

*Assertion failed: (castIsValid(getOpcode(), S, Ty) && "Illegal SExt"),
function SExtInst, file Instructions.cpp, line 2508.*

*
*

The stack looks like this:

**
*

#0 0x9870d912 in __kill

#1 0x9870d904 in kill$UNIX2003

#2 0x987a0b99 in raise

#3 0x987b6c50 in abort

#4 0x987a37f8 in __assert_rtn

#5 0x0090ab1a in llvm::SExtInst::SExtInst

#6 0x001528b3 in RoxorCompiler::compile_conversion_to_ruby

#7 0x00158847 in RoxorCompiler::compile_stub

#8 0x0017e173 in RoxorCore::gen_stub

#9 0x0018b4cd in rb_vm_dispatch

#10 0x00e432a2 in ??

#11 0x0004c2cb in ruby_run_node

#12 0x00186a61 in macruby_main

#13 0x00002c64 in main at main.m:13

I was following the (admittedly quite old) page covering this sort of
activity at http://www.macruby.org/trac/wiki/MacRubyFromObjC.

My main.m and rb_main.rb are vanilla and copied from the FlickrDemo (which
runs on my system).  If I reduce rb_main.rb to the bare minimum of the
following, I still get the error.

framework 'Cocoa'

NSApplicationMain(0, nil)

I'm assuming it's something in my ObjC code that is causing the problem --
is there a good way to zero in on it?  My llvm and MacRuby knowledge is
pretty rough, so I'm not sure where to drop breakpoints.  If there's a
"don't use <datatype>" rule of thumb, that would be great, too, as that
appears to be where things may be hung up.

Thanks!

-a.
*