[MacRuby-devel] Size of the apps

Matt Aimonetti mattaimonetti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:12:16 PDT 2010

Daniel,

Welcome to the list. Currently MacRuby doesn't optimize the output size.
There are few things you can do to reduce the file size, such as not
including the Ruby 1.9 standard library with your app if you don't need it.
In the future the app size should be reduced by only including the libraries
needed as well as using doing some other tricks Laurent mentioned previously
in the list. (mainly related to the way LLVM is linked if I remember
correctly)

To sum up, most of your 34mb were MacRuby + Ruby stdlib so a small app or a
big app will have more or less the same size. In the future, compiled apps
should be smaller but honestly it doesn't matter that much as HD space is
cheap and bandwidth isn't really an issue at this point.

- Matt