[MacRuby-devel] political rumination

Matthew Winter wintermi at teratools.com
Fri Apr 9 22:23:59 PDT 2010

Hi,

I asked the same question via Twitter, however I do not expect to get an answer at this stage.

If my understanding is correct about why Apple has done this, in that it is more due to "the need to support the new multitasking APIs in iPhone 4.0. The system will now be evaluating apps as they run in order to implement smart multitasking. It can't do this if apps are running within a runtime or are cross compiled with a foreign structure that doesn't behave identically to a native C/C++/Obj-C app."

Then based on this, I see no reason why they should not let MacRuby be blessed as this essentially is making use of the same Objective-C runtime and API's.

There are now quite a few ways to develop apps for the iPhone & iPad that do not involve Obj-C. I wonder if it is just the case of recompiling the base libraries or making the base libraries aware of Apple's multitasking needs, and then for each to be blessed by Apple, or am I being way to optimistic that this will happen.

Regards
Matthew Winter