[MacRuby-devel] Size of the apps

Dave Baldwin dave.baldwin at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 15 01:35:24 PDT 2010

On 14 Apr 2010, at 19:47, Daniel Lopes wrote:

> Ops, sorry... small typo == isn't a big issue. Nobody cares for 10mb or 30mb today.

I disagree strongly.  I have not downloaded apps because their size seems way out of kilter with the functionality they offer.  Who wants to support gratuitous bloatware?

Download size is important"
1.  Not everyone is on broadband.
2.  Many people do not download via a landline - i.e. use the mobile or cell network
3.  Many people have some cap on the amount they can download per month.
4.  If I am hosting the sale of an app I don't want to pay pay for more bandwidth than needed as there is a per purchase multiplier in there.
5.  If MacRuby has any aspirations to running on the iPhone OS then the available memory on these devices is limited so 30MB (or whatever) for a trivial app is way larger than the current sub MB these type of apps currently take.

The size issue will go away if Apple includes MacRuby and its support frameworks as standard in the OS(es) but until these become the norm it is worth finding solutions to at least minimise the impact.

Dave.

>>> http://www.cifrascash.com/
>>> http://pomodo.areacriacoes.com.br/