[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby Devel Beginner Question

Jeff Hemmelgarn jhemmelg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:33:37 PDT 2010

Hello,

First I want to thank everyone involved in the project for their efforts in bringing MacRuby to us.  I love being able to use GCD with ruby!  I have been on vacation for a week and finally feel like touching a computer again so I thought I would look into doing some MacRuby development.

Since I have no experience with llvm and almost none with ObjectiveC, I decided to pick a low-priority, narrow focus bug to look into.  That should allow me to get used to the environment without going too far into the weeds. I pretty much randomly chose #502 Marshalling large integers returns wrong value.

I have downloaded and built both llvm and the latest code from the git mirror.

I have been trying to reproduce the problem with macirb under gdb.  I have some experience with gdb but I am getting confused trying to set a breakpoint in the Marshal package load function.  It looks like MacRuby is bypassing the globally visible function rb_marshal_load and using rb_objc_define_method to export a pointer to the file local function marshal_load.

The basics of the question is, how do I set a breakpoint in gdb for this function?  Is this problem a result of using llvm?  Will I end up needing to set a generic breakpoint in a dispatch routine with a condition looking for the selector for the load function?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Jeff Hemmelgarn