[MacRuby-devel] Fibers and Enumerators

macruby at djc.net macruby at djc.net
Thu Aug 12 13:33:54 PDT 2010

I agree (I don't see a performance issue, rather, a compatibility issue)

While I am certain everyone would agree that 100% compatibility should be the
goal, I am not convinced how "critical" this addition is:
in particular, how difficult is it to do a quick code change?
Unlike basic data types, there are quite a few reasons I don't see Fibers
being a large percentage of any code.

Does anyone have any truly compelling examples where Fibers are truly the
only/right way to go, vs. an alternate design?

I don't see them scaling well (see ruby-doc.org) - meaning, their advantage is
restricted in scope.

e.g. (MSDN)
"In general, fibers do not provide advantages over a well-designed
multithreaded application."

The term "lightweight" seems to correlate near 1.0 with "fiber" on web
pages... one (not all) of GCD's primary goals in life is: lightweight ...
which makes me think/agree this really boils down to measuring the pain/cost
of having this one feature MIA (e.g. source translation/compatibility) vs.
not...

-Daniel