[MacRuby-devel] Fibers and Enumerators

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Aug 13 10:15:35 PDT 2010

Hi Easco,

On Aug 13, 2010, at 8:15 AM, easco wrote:
> Instead I was curious to know if there was "a plan" for implementing Fibers and if so, I was curious to know what operating system technology they would be built on.  It appears that the problem has not been looked at, in-depth, yet and I am satisfied with that.  Nor does it appear that there is any OS level technology that would particularly support the creation of Fibers (i.e. Mac OS X doesn't really have any built-in support for cooperatively scheduled multitasking... outside of deprecated technologies like the Carbon Thread Manager and makecontext/swapcontext).

Actually, I'm confused by that statement. My understanding is that cooperatively scheduled threads is a just a subset of the system-scheduled model.

In particular, I'm pretty sure you can emulate them on top of GCD using semaphores.  Should I explain further, or did you already consider that and discover it was unworkable?

-- Ernie P.