[MacRuby-devel] Break Points. Was Re: MacRuby hanging

Robert Rice rice.audio at pobox.com
Fri Aug 13 12:02:28 PDT 2010

Hi Henry:

Actually, I haven't learned to use the debugger. I have lots of tracing messages "put" and when I get a hang I add a raise statement following the last message generated and rerun to get a traceback. Then I add lots of put messages to the high level method from the TB to track down the problem.

But all this only works if the bug is my own. If a hang is caused by an unexpected method call from a UI object then I don't know how to track it down other than starting a new project and incrementally adding functionality until it breaks.

MacRuby has been running stable for me after my code is debugged. But I'm not having any luck tracking down my new problem of getting an invalid graphics context in my drawrect methods from NSGraphicsContext.currentContext.graphicsPort. I get an object of class __NSCFType instead of CGContextRef and I read that this class usually indicates a memory allocation problem. This problem started when I added PDFView and the Quartz.framework to my app. I don't want to have to remove my PDFView from my app.

Bob Rice