[MacRuby-devel] Fibers and Enumerators

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Aug 13 15:38:40 PDT 2010

Hi Scott,

On Aug 13, 2010, at 1:46 PM, easco wrote:
>> Remember, nobody is defending the POSIX pthread APIs here, they're saying that GCD makes Fibers less relevant...
>
> GCD makes Fibers less relevant so long as you are willing to lock your code to the MacRuby platform. ;-)  But I think we've all agreed on that point as well.

Um, I'm not sure.  My understanding is that:

a) GCD makes it trivial to implement the *semantics* of Fibers, by using e.g., semaphores for suspend/resume

b) GCD does not make it trivial to implement the *syntax* of Fibers, but that should be possible with some (relatively minor) MacRuby hacking

Am I missing something?

-- Ernie P.