[MacRuby-devel] Regular expression related performance

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Thu Dec 2 13:20:27 PST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Caio Chassot wrote:

> On 2010-12-01, at 20:15 , Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>>
>> MacRuby is using ICU. I'm not aware of ICU's internals, but I suspect the performance issue is probably elsewhere here, given the huge difference against 1.8.
>>

> I know we've talked about this before and you found ICU and Oniguruma to be very compatible, save a few obscure Oniguruma extensions, but…
>
> Should I want to, is it a simple enough task compile MacRuby with Oniguruma instead?

It won't be as simple. MacRuby used to run on Oniguruma until version 0.6 I believe, where we switched to ICU, for several good reasons (thread-safety, better unicode interface, etc.).

So far we have been adding the Oniguruma extensions by hand on top of ICU, AFAIK except named captures (new in 1.9) our regexps should pretty much behave the same.