[MacRuby-devel] Requirements for Interface Builder to correctly parse MacRuby files?

Paul Howson paul-lists at tdgq.com.au
Mon Feb 1 18:53:26 PST 2010

Hello Laurent et al,

In an attempt to ease code management for a large document class, I split the code for my NSDocument subclass into a number of separate Ruby files. e.g. MyDocument-base.rb, MyDocument-commands.rb, and so on, reopening the Ruby class and adding more methods in each file.

When the class was in a single source file (eg. MyDocument.rb), Interface Builder would correctly parse this and recognise outlets and action methods.

Splitting the class into separate files had the effect of causing Interface Builder to no longer recognise outlets and action methods.

Can you please explain how and when IB parses Ruby source files and why splitting a class into separate files breaks the parsing?

Is this documented somewhere?

Any suggestions for a way around this?

Thanks,
Paul Howson