[MacRuby-devel] patterns in high-level wrappers

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Feb 9 16:23:17 PST 2010

I'm glad to hear about Ernie's GCD wrapper effort, both specifically
and as an indication that some general patterns may be developing in
the area of Rubifying wrappers for industry APIs.

I have watched Rich Kilmer's HotCocoa effort with great interest; I'm
currently involved in working on a similarly-motivated effort to make
Jena (a Java Semantic Web framework) more pleasant to use under JRuby.

It strikes me that these three projects (and others that may be around)
will have commonalities in the fact that they are mapping similar C-like
languages (eg, Java, ObjC) to Ruby.  However, there are certain to be a
number of differences, based on application areas, base languages, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific patterns of my own to offer, as
yet.  So, I'm hoping that Rich and Ernie might be willing to tell the rest
of us about their approaches and rationales.  I'd also like to hear about
other projects (and notions) in this area.

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com