[MacRuby-devel] [MacRuby] #528: Improve Tail Call Elimination

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:20:53 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM, MacRuby <ruby-noreply at macosforge.org> wrote:

> #528: Improve Tail Call Elimination
>
> -------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  haruki.zaemon@…          |       Owner:  lsansonetti@…
>     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new
> Component:  MacRuby                  |    Keywords:  tail call elimination
> optimisation tco
>
> -------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
>
> Comment(by haruki.zaemon@…):
>
>  I dug a little deeper and apparently LLVM already supports quite
>  sophisticated TCO, including mutual recursion. Not sure why that doesn't
>  take effect in MacRuby but I assume it's due to the way calls are
>  constructed. Anyway, it's now well and truly outside my abilities.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Simon

Simon, after reading you blog post on the subject, I feel that you're well
versed on the subject matter of TCO.  Yes, LLVM supports TCO very
well and building languages in general.  I would recommend learning a bit
about LLVM and llvm.org has some excellent documentation.  Also, they
have several resources to receive assistance.  After you feel comfortable
with LLVM, then looking at the problem within the MacRuby would  should
become much easier.

Good luck,

-Conrad