[MacRuby-devel] OpenGL/GLUT Bridgesupport

John Shea johnmacshea at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:06:35 PST 2010

>Thank you again for offering the additional resources. It would be great
> if you wanted to add them to your idisc.

sure.

> I did find a copy of your excellent presentation "Building Games with
> MacRuby and OpenGL", I must work through the slides again. Did you
> consider sharing your game tools? The presentation would make a very
> useful basis for a web tutorial on the MacRuby/openGL topic.

As far as tools are concerned the only one that ended up being useful in
the end was canning particle effects, so you run the explosion, fireworks
or whatever and then record a series of images, which you can use for
animation later. With IcePhage however it was all on the fly particle
effects - canned animation was not necessary - it could do with some
optimisation (both in look and efficiency) - and macruby speed increases
have probably have improved performance.

Is that what you meant by tools?

The only other software (sans MacRuby) I used was XCode, TextMate and for
3D experiments Cheetah 3D, some Illustrator & Ria for drawing, graphic
converter to clean up the PNGs.

Let me know if you meant something else regarding tools.

Cheers,

> Like you, I'm new to both openGL and MacRuby - my interest is in
> visualisations rather than games. Right now I'm just greatfull that
> folks like you are willing to share their hard earned skills.

> Best wishes, Jonathan

> jonathan 'at' waddilove.net

> On 22 Jan 2010, at 09:28, John Shea wrote:

>> Jonathan,

>> I made some games in opengl this time last year (which now seem quite
>> naive, as i did not know opengl or cocoa, so they could do with a good
>> refactor).

>> I do not know if they work with the current version of macruby but they
>> are on my idisk:

>> www.johnmacshea.org

>> navigate thru MacRuby / Game Related / Mine

>> Two 2D games CarNage8 and IcePhage9 are there.

>> They do screen setup, texture loading, writing text to opengl scenes
>> (two different ways), canned explosions sometimes and particle effects
>> for other explosions.

>> They do not use VAs or VBOs - but I do have some test projects which
>> use VAs and VBOs, and a 3D test (which uses an exported c header file
>> (from Cheetah 3D) holding vertex arrays).

>> Let me know if you are interested and I will dig them up and send them
>> to you (only tested on MacRuby 0.4 however).

>> In that game related folder you will also see translations from other
>> people's opengl work (also only tested on 0.4)

>> Cheers,

>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:32:57 +0100, Jonathan Waddilove
>> <jonathan at waddilove.net> wrote:

>>> John,

>>> Thank you for the response. GLUT won't be my first choice but I'm
>>> trying to follow the examples in the SuperBible.

>>> I'm wondering what the plan is to support all the 'standard'
>>> frameworks in MacRuby is? Should I be able to process the
>>> GLUT.framework with gen_bridge_metadata?

>>> Meanwhile I will look at providing my own wrapper class as you
>>> suggest. As you say this provides a flexible way of handling any
>>> framework that lacks bridge support.

>>> Many thank, Jonathan

regards,  Jonathan