[MacRuby-devel] Ruby and JSCocoa — A bridge from Ruby to JavascriptCore too far?

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Jun 9 07:41:50 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Okay, this is probably a completely insane idea brought on my WWDC/toddler-induced sleep deprivation, but...

Given all the hoopla around node.js lately, I've been playing around with JSCocoa to see what can be don with JavaScript on the Mac:

http://inexdo.com/JSCocoa

Alas, my ObjC skills have atrophied (or maybe just spoiled by Ruby), so I've looked with envy at various Ruby-in-JavaScript solutions:

cowboyd's therubyrhino at master - GitHub

therubyracer

jbarnette's johnson at master - GitHub

The simplest of these is Rhino, since it already "boxes" up JavaScript inside the Java object model, which bridges trivially to JRuby.

If I squint just right and don't think too hard, it seems like I should be able to do the same thing with JSCocoa from MacRuby.  That is, use JSCocoa as a "JavaScript API to real objects" translator, then MacRuby to access those objects from there.

The tricky part is that JSCocoa still passes around a bunch of C structs (JS Data types).  But presumably Bridge Support can take care of (most) of that for me? Or am I overlooking something profound?

-- Ernie P.