[MacRuby-devel] Compilation Clarification

Geoffrey Grosenbach boss at topfunky.com
Mon Jun 28 11:43:51 PDT 2010

Can I get a clarification on what the Compilation build step does?

GOAL: Compile a MacRuby app and remove unnecessary Ruby files in order
to achieve the smallest app size possible.

I have a MacRuby 0.6 application built with Xcode. I'm building it
with the Compile option so I get .rbo files in my app bundle. I also
deleted all the /usr/lib/ruby Ruby files in the built app in order to
reduce the final size of the app (25 MB saved):

    https://gist.github.com/6af67e1927969b9a47c1

My app uses Ruby's File and Dir classes, but everything else is Cocoa.

Surprisingly, it works on several different machines, even without
MacRuby 0.6 installed.

Do I understand correctly that the code of those files is compiled
into the .rbo files in my app? Or is it getting File and Dir from my
MRI Ruby installation?

--
Geoffrey Grosenbach
boss at topfunky.com