[MacRuby-devel] Compilation Clarification

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Mon Jun 28 18:18:51 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Geoffrey Grosenbach wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Laurent Sansonetti
> <lsansonetti at apple.com> wrote:
>> It's because File and Dir are core / builtin classes (like Array and String), they are part of libmacruby.dylib which is still in your .app bundle. You deleted the standard library.
>
> That makes sense. I'll use the --no_stdlib flag as suggested, which
> cuts my app size in half.

If you still want a cut out space, I recommend running `strip -x' on your main executable and .rbo files. Finally, if you only want to target 64-bit environments (even if there are still people using 32-bit only macs), you can trim out the 32-bit parts of each binary file, using `lipo -remove', which should cut in half the overall size too.

In the upcoming 0.7 release static compilation will be permitted, you will be able to generate a standalone binary that contains both the MacRuby runtime (some features disabled) and your application code, in about 1.5MB for regular-size apps.