[MacRuby-devel] Will FFI make it into macruby?

Jeremy Voorhis jvoorhis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:03:04 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Laurent Sansonetti
<lsansonetti at apple.com>wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> There is currently no plan about implementing the FFI API in MacRuby. It
> was my plan originally but apparently the API is not really used, so I
> preferred to support C extensions instead, which will be in the next
> release, 0.6.

Ouch! I'm getting ready to make an initial release of FFI bindings to LLVM
2.6. So far they run on MRI 1.8.7, 1.9.1, and JRuby. I'd very much like to
use them with MacRuby as well. At a minimum, they require attach_function,
MemoryPointer and enums.

I'll also readily admit that lack of FFI is the biggest reason I've *not*
been using MacRuby for my current projects, as well as why my bindings don't
have thorough support for managing LLVMContexts.

I see that MacRuby uses llvm/ModuleProvider.h which is removed in LLVM 2.7.
Am I right in assuming that MacRuby requires LLVM 2.6, and will this be the
case for the forseeable future?

Best

Jeremy