[MacRuby-devel] [ANN] MacRuby 0.6

Thibault Martin-Lagardette thibault.ml at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:13:13 PDT 2010

Hi Tiago!

We are sorry that the PostgreSQL gem is not yet fully installable via
macgem.
The one we managed to install was ruby-pg 0.9.0 (
http://bitbucket.org/ged/ruby-pg/downloads).
However, the gem in itself has an extconf.rb file with a syntax that is not
yet supported in MacRuby and probably won't be soon enough.

To install and use ruby-pg, you'll need to do the following:
- Download ruby-pg 0.9.0 from http://bitbucket.org/ged/ruby-pg/downloads
- Extract wherever you want, let's say in /tmp/ruby-pg for example
- Go in the extracted ruby-pg directory, and apply the patch (
https://gist.github.com/00be9e82ed4fd548c29d ) by doing: patch -p0 <
/path/to/extconf.rb
- cd into the "ext" directory, and run the following commands:
$> macruby extconf.rb # potentially add --with-pg-config if you need
$> make
$> sudo make install
You will have to make sure that your local installation of PostgreSQL is
compiled for both i386 and x86_64 bits, MacRuby requires it.

Once you have issued the latest command, the extension "pg_ext" will be
installed (without needing gems). You can either rename pg_ext to pg, or
create a pg.rb file that requires pg_ext (which is exactly what the gem does
when installed, however installing ruby-pg has proven to less than
straightforward [even with ruby19], so it's easier to do it this way ;-)).

Hope this helps, good luck with that!
--
Thibault Martin-Lagardette