[MacRuby-devel] ActiveSupport in MacRuby 0.6?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Tue May 4 20:25:21 PDT 2010

Hi Leigh,

On May 4, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Leigh Caplan wrote:

> I remember reading that ActiveSupport was going to be supported in MacRuby 0.6, however version 2.3.5 of the gem still fails to load with the following message:
> irb(main):003:0> require 'activesupport'
> NoMethodError: undefined method `alias_method_chain' for Range:Class

You will probably have more chance with the version in Rails 3. It's not going to work out of the box though, I had to patch it a little bit to work around bugs. I don't recommend using this library with MacRuby at the moment unless you know what you're doing.

Supporting ActiveSupport in 0.6 was not a goal, but more a "nice to have".

> Same thing happened in 0.5...
>
> On an unrelated note, I now seem to be unable to run macgem, macirb, etc without sudoing – if I try to run as my ordinary user, I seem to time out with an "abort trap." Tried explicitly granting +r permissions on the MacRuby.framework itself, but no dice.

I would recommend doing Matt's suggestion, which is to manually delete MacRuby then re-install through the installer (if it's what you did).

You write you saw "abort traps". Do you still have the crash logs in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter ? If yes, attaching one to a Trac bug might be a good idea.