[MacRuby-devel] failing to build mysql gem

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Sun May 23 12:45:52 PDT 2010

On May 23, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On May 23, 2010, at 8:37 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>
>> Do you have a gdb backtrace or a crash log handy?
>
> I don't know how to get one. I am just installing llvm and preparing to build macruby from source.

Every time a program crashes, a crash log file is generated in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter (look for a macruby file there with the appropriate time stamp).

Otherwise, since the crashing line seems to be

/Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/0.6/usr/bin/macruby -w -Ilib:bin:test:. -e 'require "rubygems"; require "test/unit"; require "test/test_mysql.rb"' --

You can try

gdb --args /Library/Frameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/0.6/usr/bin/macruby -w  ...

Then inside gdb, hit 'r', then when it crashes, type 'thread apply all bt'.

A good thing to do in order to know if it's a GC problem is to set the GC_DISABLE environment variable to something and try again.

'set env GC_DISABLE 1' then 'r' again.

If you can attach that information to a new ticket I will have a look Monday.

Also, I would try if normal mysql-ruby scripts are working too. Maybe the test suite is doing a corner-case thing.