[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby with Subprocesses

Matt Massicotte massicotte at apple.com
Wed Nov 3 09:12:59 PDT 2010

I respectfully disagree :)

NSTask is a huge pain and will result in dramatically more code in the simple cases.  Open3 is much easier to work with, and we can only dream of a solution as simple as backticks in Cocoa.  It becomes less of an issue if you are executing long-running processes and do not want to block on their completion.

All that said, using the Cocoa implementations is definitely generally preferred.  But, if Ruby offers something that Cocoa either doesn't or doesn't do well, you should:

- use the one that best fits your problem
- file a bug so the Cocoa version can be improved

Matt