[MacRuby-devel] A little NSStatusBar app - Gmail Notifr

James Chen ashchan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 06:36:08 PST 2010

Hi guys,

Gmail Notifr was originally written in RubyCocoa, which runs as a little
NSStatusBar app and checks your gmail feeds at specified intervals. I
started updating it to MacRuby last month.

Most changes were just simply updating method_arg1_arg2 to
method(arg1:arg2). Since this app saves account/password in Keychain, I also
extracted the keychain access code to a separate project. Still have some
difficulties on Security.framework's C methods. I also need to make the
growl notification work later.

I know many guys are interested in how to make menu bar (NSStatusBar)
application so I guess this in progress project might help a little. The
project repository is: https://github.com/ashchan/gmail-notifr , and the
keychain access wrapper project is here:
https://github.com/ashchan/macruby-keychain-wrapper .

Regarding the C methods calling, the keychain wrapper has to access this
API:

    SecKeychainItemModifyAttributesAndData

It would be really great if anyone knows how to construct
SecKeychainAttributeList and other necessary parameters for this API and
offers some help.

---
James Chen
ashchan.com | @ashchan <http://twitter.com/ashchan>