[MacRuby-devel] A little NSStatusBar app - Gmail Notifr

James Chen ashchan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 06:36:08 PST 2010

Hi guys,

Gmail Notifr was originally written in RubyCocoa, which runs as a little
NSStatusBar app and checks your gmail feeds at specified intervals. I
started updating it to MacRuby last month.

Most changes were just simply updating method_arg1_arg2 to
method(arg1:arg2). Since this app saves account/password in Keychain, I also
extracted the keychain access code to a separate project. Still have some
difficulties on Security.framework's C methods. I also need to make the
growl notification work later.

I know many guys are interested in how to make menu bar (NSStatusBar)
application so I guess this in progress project might help a little. The
project repository is: https://github.com/ashchan/gmail-notifr , and the
keychain access wrapper project is here:
https://github.com/ashchan/macruby-keychain-wrapper .

Regarding the C methods calling, the keychain wrapper has to access this

It would be really great if anyone knows how to construct
SecKeychainAttributeList and other necessary parameters for this API and
offers some help.

James Chen
ashchan.com | @ashchan <http://twitter.com/ashchan>