[MacRuby-devel] Socket Class not implimented?

Shaun August shaun at eoslightmedia.com
Sat Oct 2 19:36:19 PDT 2010

Hi There,

I am trying to run a ruby TCPsocket to get information from a quatech serial
device server. The code runs well in ruby but I get an error when I try to
reference the class in my MacRuby code:

uninitialized constant Coin_Counter::TCPsocket (NameError)

Here is the class where the error takes place:

class Coin_Counter
  def open_socket(host)
    port=(5000)

    @s = TCPsocket.open(host, port)
    puts "Opened Connection to", host,"\n"
  end

  def close_socket()
    @s.close
  end

  def poll_microcoin()
    hexBool = true
    byteNum = 0
    coins = true
    loonie = 0
    hex = "\x82\x88\x90\xff\x90\x00\x03\x77"
    hex1 = "\x82\x88\x11\xff\x90\x00\x03\xf6"

    while coins
      eof = false
      if hexBool
        @s.write(hex)
        hexBool = false
      else
        @s.write(hex1)
        hexBool = true
      end

      while eof == false
         results = @s.read(1)
         if byteNum == 5
           if results == "\030"
             AppController.startImageCapture
           elsif results == "\220"
             loonie = loonie + 1
              if loonie > 1
                AppController.startImageCapture
                loonie = 0
              end
           end
         end
         if results == "\003"
           p "end of bytes"
           eof = true
           byteNum = byteNum + 1
         end
         byteNum = byteNum + 1
       end
      check = @s.read(1)
      byteNum = 0
      sleep(0.5)
    end
  end
end

I really need to use raw TCP sockets to communicate with my device. I am
hoping I don't have to re-impliment this code.

Thanks for your help,

Shaun