[MacRuby-devel] Handling Of Instance Variables In MacRuby

Jeff Hemmelgarn jhemmelg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 12:39:28 PDT 2010

I have been looking into ticket 203 - Marshal.dump does not serialize an Exception's backtrace.  It looks like the first reason is that dump is not currently exporting instance variables.  Digging deeper, I found that MacRuby is not currently using the ID_INSTANCE tag for identifying instance variables.  It doesn't look like instance variables are being identified as separate from other types right now.  I am not sure which way to go from here.

What are the plans for supporting instance variables?  I would be happy to work on getting that support in if I had some direction.  I am planning on working on the tickets and TODOs in the Marshal module and working out from there as I learn more about the MacRuby codebase and ObjectiveC/LLVM in general.   So, this would be a good opportunity to delve deeper.

Thanks!

Jeff